What is hemoglobin electrophoresis?
Hemoglobin is a protein in your red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the relaxation of your overall body. There are many various forms of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin electrophoresis is a exam that measures the various forms of hemoglobin in the blood. It also appears to be like for irregular forms of hemoglobin.
Usual forms of hemoglobin consist of:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) A, the most common sort of hemoglobin in balanced grown ups
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) F, fetal hemoglobin. This sort of hemoglobin is uncovered in unborn babies and newborns. HgbF is replaced by HgbA shortly right after start.
If degrees of HgbA or HgbF are way too significant or way too minimal, it can indicate specific forms of anemia.
Irregular forms of hemoglobin consist of:
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) S. This sort of hemoglobin is uncovered in sickle mobile disorder. Sickle mobile disorder is an inherited dysfunction that brings about the overall body to make rigid, sickle-formed red blood cells. Wholesome red blood cells are versatile so they can transfer easily as a result of blood vessels. Sickle cells can get trapped in the blood vessels, triggering significant and persistent ache, bacterial infections, and other issues.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) C. This sort of hemoglobin does not have oxygen properly. It can lead to a mild type of anemia.
- Hemoglobin (Hgb) E. This sort of hemoglobin is largely uncovered in people of Southeast Asian descent. Men and women with HgbE generally have no symptoms or mild symptoms of anemia.
A hemoglobin electrophoresis exam applies an electrical latest to a blood sample. This separates regular and irregular forms of hemoglobin. Just about every sort of hemoglobin can then be calculated independently.
Other names: Hb electrophoresis, hemoglobin analysis, hemoglobinopathy analysis, hemoglobin fractionation, Hb ELP, sickle mobile display screen