What are the facet consequences?
- Redness, inflammation, or discomfort where the shot was provided
Get ready for your child’s vaccine pay a visit to and discover about how you can:
- Investigation vaccines and completely ready your child in advance of the go to
- Consolation your baby throughout the appointment
- Treatment for your boy or girl right after the shot
Right before, For the duration of, and Just after Pictures
What is polio?
Polio, or poliomyelitis, is a disabling and life-threatening sickness brought on by the poliovirus. The virus can infect a person’s spinal twine, resulting in paralysis (simply cannot go sections of the system). Paralysis brought on by poliovirus takes place when the virus replicates in and assaults the nervous technique. The paralysis can be lifelong, and it can be deadly.
It most typically sickens kids youthful than 5 a long time old.
What are the symptoms of polio infection?
Most people who get contaminated with poliovirus do not have any signs. Some people today (25 people today out of 100) will have flu-like signs. These indications ordinarily past 2 to 5 times.
In rare instances, poliovirus infection can be incredibly major. About 1 out of 200 individuals will have weak spot or paralysis in their arms, legs, or both. This paralysis or weak point can final a life span.
Is it severe?
The hazard of lifelong paralysis is really critical. Even young children who appear to completely get better can create new muscle mass suffering, weak point, or paralysis as older people, 15 to 40 decades later.
About 2 to 10 children out of 100 who have paralysis from polio die for the reason that the virus affects the muscle mass that support them breathe.
How does polio unfold?
Poliovirus is really contagious. It spreads through speak to with:
- the stool (poop) of an infected individual.
- droplets from a sneeze or cough of an infected individual.
If you get stool or droplets from an contaminated person on your hands and you touch your mouth, you can get infected. Also, if your child puts objects, like toys, that have stool or droplets on them into their mouth, they can get contaminated.
An infected human being may perhaps distribute the virus to other individuals instantly just before and up to 2 months just after indicators look.
- The virus may perhaps stay in an infected person’s stool for quite a few months. He or she can contaminate foods and water when they contact it with unwashed fingers.
- Men and women who never have symptoms can even now move the virus to many others and make them unwell.
Do people today however get polio in the United States?
No, thanks to a productive vaccination plan, the United States has been polio-totally free for more than 30 a long time, but the illness however happens in other elements of the entire world. It would only consider a single individual with polio touring from an additional country to convey polio back again to the United States.